Sunday, April 6, 2014

What I've Been Reading (or NOT)

#12 Read one book a month.  That has been my current challenge, and pleasure.  A few posts ago, I talked about my plan and the books that I had already read.  I finished Divergent and enjoyed it very much.  

Then I made a list of other books I would like to read.  My sweet son, Keegan, works at the public library and he brought one home to me from my list, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.  If I am being honest, apparently I have been a bit spoiled by young adult fiction.  The genre is filled with amazing stories, yet written a bit more simply.  As I began reading Life After Life, I am ashamed to say that I found it complex and wordy.  Not to the fault of the author, only to the fault of myself.  I am used to just flying through pages easily so I only read part way and then gave up.  I still would like to read it, but not right now.  That was supposed to be my March book, instead, I didn't complete ANY book!  Bummer.

I did just read a children's book, The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo.  I have loved her other books: Because of Winn Dixie and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.  I was talking with our school librarian on Friday because I had noticed that her newest book, Flora & Ulysses has been named the 2014 Newbery Award winner.  Joni, our librarian, recommended The Tiger Rising so I brought it home and read in an hour or two.  Please read her books.  I think so many times, as adults, we think that children's books are only for children, but they're not!  This book was beautiful and heartbreaking.  On the surface, it's a book about a boy who finds a tiger in a cage in the woods.  But underneath, its a story about love, loss, grief, and moving on.
                                                                   

 Recently I downloaded my next book on my kindle: A Few Seconds of Radiant Filmstrip by Kevin Brockmeier.  Entertainment Weekly reviewed it and gave it an A- score. Plus, since I really AM a kid at heart, who wouldn't want to read a book about the angst of seventh grade??  I'll let you know how it is as soon as I finish it!
                                                                

Remember, don't wait for someday!  Make a list, set a deadline, and get busy.  You are a unique person with many God-given interests, desires, and talents.  Don't wait!  Enjoy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment