Saturday, April 12, 2014

Love people more

I want to believe in my heart that people are good.  Deep, deep down I want to believe that is true. Yet, I only have to turn on the t.v to see evidence to the contrary. Stabbings, shootings, kidnappings, murder, wars.

But wait...I also see stories of joy, heroism, perseverance, generosity and love.  What about those stories?  Isn't it so easy to see the negative and dwell on that? Shouldn't we also celebrate the amazing things that people do for others? Yeah, I think so too.

As I've been contemplating #18 Random acts of kindness, I started wondering why did I even put that on my list?  Was it to make myself feel good?  To turn something good into pride?  So people would think more highly of me?  What was my motive?  To tell you the truth, it was probably all of the above.  The problem with that is that I would be doing the acts of kindness for ME, not the other person.  How messed up is that??

I am a Christian and I believe what the Bible says is true.  1 Peter 4:8-11 says
"Above all, love each other deeply, because 
love covers over a multitude of sins.  Offer
hospitality to one another without grumbling.
Each one should use whatever gift he has received
to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace
in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should
do it as one speaking the very words of God.
If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength
God provides, so that in all things God may be
praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and
the power for ever and ever. Amen."

As a result,  I want to care for people and love them MORE and judge them LESS. May God open my eyes to the needs around me.

I have decided not to post on my blog about the random acts of kindness that God brings my way.  If I did, then I would be receiving the praise and I'm pretty sure that would defeat the purpose.  Just know that I am on a mission...

No comments:

Post a Comment