Friday, March 21, 2014

My new phone

"Mom, why aren't you typing with both hands?"  This is the question that I heard yesterday from my sweet, tech-savvy 16 year-old daughter yesterday as I was attempting to text with one finger.  My response, "Because I am new at this!  Cut me some slack!"

Believe it or not, I got an iphone a couple days ago.  It seems like everyone in the world has a smart phone, so I guess it was time.  You remember the old days when our parents and grandparents said, "We don't need that answering machine, that cordless phone, that silly inter-net, (fill in with whatever suits you)." We laughed and thought- "I'll never be like that!"  Well guess what??

I've been stubbornly digging in my heels and refusing to be a part of the whole "social media".  To me it seems like a glorious waste of time.  And honestly, part of me just likes to rebel.  OK, I said it.  Let's move on.  Seriously, am I SO self-centered that I think people want to hear what I have to say?  Is my life interesting enough?  Do I really think I am so adorable that everyone wants to look at my selfie?  Yikes!  Am I really interested in each and every moment of everyone else's lives?  Is that horrible to say?

However, I realize that my refusal to take part in all of this will in NO way change a thing. In the future,  I don't want my children and grandchildren shaking their heads at my backward ways.  Can't you hear me now? "When I was your age, I didn't need some silly device in my hands 24-7 to keep me entertained.  I just ran outside and played with a stick.  And I LOVED it!"

When I made my list, #8 Become tech savvy (smart phone/ social media), I did it for the reason of keeping up with the times.  I'm not sure what all I have to do to be able to mark it off my list, but I'm thinking I should at least get started.  Here is what I've done so far:

  • Face Time with my sister
  • Sent and received texts
  • Changed my wallpaper
  • Downloaded Pandora, Shazam, and Snapchat
  • Sent and received a snapchat
  • Sync my phone to my car
Guess what I haven't done yet?  Make a PHONE call on my PHONE!  Seem strange to anyone? Remember that Spy Kids movie where the guy gives the boy the spy watch that does everything except tell time??  Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Like it or not, I will learn how to do everything that is on my phone.  It's going to take time, patience, humility, and a selfie or two!




No comments:

Post a Comment