Saturday, November 17, 2012

Four Sisters Booth

Last weekend, my sisters and I had a booth at a craft fair.  It was kind of a hair-brained idea that became something special.  In Great Bend, the high school puts on a craft fair every year.  I saw the information about it earlier in the fall.  I was thinking that I could mark off #12 Start my own baking business by renting a booth space and selling cinnamon rolls.  Great, considering I still hadn't been brave enough to take the first step.  Then the longer I thought about it, I realized there was no way I could make enough fresh rolls to supply a booth for 5 hours.  So, I talked to my sister Cheryl, who is uber-crafty, and asked if she had any ideas of things I could make to sell at the booth.  She definitely had ideas.  In fact, she wanted to make some things too and join me.   Then I offered to my other sisters, Crystal and Diane, if they'd like to join me as well.  Crystal makes adorable cards and said she was in.  Diane said she couldn't make anything (due to her busy schedule) but would love to help at the booth.  Thus, FOUR SISTERS booth was created.  We all worked like crazy ladies trying to get enough stuff put together for the big day.  Crystal had to have knee surgery, so she wasn't able to make it, but her cards were in the booth and everyone oohed and aahed over them.  So, Cheryl, Diane, and I manned (or womanned) the booth and we had a blast.  Lots of people and lots of positive feedback.  Also, we learned important lessons such as: how to position your tables for traffic (Cheryl and Diane know JUST what I mean), how to get all of your product into the craft fair and get it to the correct table, don't put me in charge of the calculator, what people want to buy and what they don't, and it's a little too early to try to sell perishable Christmas snack mix...just to name a few.  The whole point of this story is, I sold some cinnamon rolls and passed out some business cards.  I don't know if that is starting my own baking business or not, but it proved to me that I can do it and I need to believe in myself.  A million thank yous to my sweet sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment