Saturday, December 1, 2012

You have got to be kidding

Well, well, well...I decided to work on #18 Look into a patent for an idea I have.  And I think the title of my post says it all.  Do you know that over 500,000 people a year submit patents to the United States Patent Office?  What I want to know is, how do that many people afford it?  After reading through a portion of all the information on their website, I realize that I neither have the money nor the energy to pursue a patent.  Feel free to go to their website and check it out for yourself.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee100512.htm
This particular link will take you to the fee page of their website.  When you get to it, make sure to scroll down for a VERY long time to see all of the money that is expected to be paid through the course of obtaining a patent.  Hopefully you can sense my irritation and frustration.  I was not wanting to submit my idea to get rich (even though that would be nice), but because I genuinely think it is a great idea and lots of people would like it.  Why would ordinary people be asked to come up with an extraordinary amount of money to ensure that their idea is their own?

I would love to hear you thoughts.  I am marking #18 off my list.  It does not say that I will get a patent, just that I would look into it.  Now that I have, I am moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment