Saturday, August 18, 2012

The power of painting

True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.
Albert Einstein (www.brainyquote.com)

While in Colorado a few weeks ago, my sister Cheryl, her daughter Jordan, my daughter Grace, and I took a fun painting class at a place called Canvas and Cocktails.  Cheryl had been before and suggested we all do it together.  I am so glad she did!   #14 Start painting again. I hadn't even thought of my list when she had the idea, but now I am a little step closer to marking this off.

The reason  I used the word "again" when making my list is that art and painting have played a big part of my life.  When I started college my major was art.  I loved all my classes--art history, ceramics, screen printing, painting, drawing, sculpture, you name it. Of course, this is before I changed majors to become a teacher.  However, visiting an art museum is still my idea of  fun!  The most amazing art museum that I have had the honor of visiting is the MOMA in New York City.  The Museum of Modern Art has some of the most famous and beautiful pieces ever, including The Starry Night by Van Gogh.
Vincent van Gogh. <i>The Starry Night</i>. Saint Rémy, June 1889. Oil on canvas, 29 x 36 1/4" (73.7 x 92.1 cm). Acquired through the Lillie P. Bliss Bequest

Something I notice about myself when I am painting, drawing, or whatever, is that it does something to me. The best way I can describe it is that I am transported.  Everything else around me fades away and I could do it for hours.  As many of you know, I battled cancer six years ago, Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  When I made it through that tough time in my life, I felt the strong desire to paint or create something  to try an express what I went through.  I drew many pictures, wrote many poems, and started one painting but never finished it. Being a cancer survivor is a weird thing.  That experience had a part in shaping who I am, but on a different level I wish I could just forget it.  I guess the better I started feeling after cancer treatment, the more I wanted to "move on" and so I stopped painting.  Maybe because I didn't like where it transported me to.  So, crossing #14 off my list is going to have to include me finishing my cancer painting, but at least the darling tulips we all painted at Canvas and Cocktails was a start!  Here's a photo of all four of us with our masterpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment